For a kick of citrus to that seafood delicacy, try this recipe for an easy-to-prepare stone crab salad.
Honey Citrus Stone Crab Claws with Hearts of Palm Salad
Yields 4 servings
- 3 pounds medium stone crab claws, cooked and chilled
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup orange or tangerine juice
- 8 hearts of palm, fresh or canned
- ¼ cup red onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup yellow bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges or tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Crack claws; remove shell and movable pincer, leaving the meat attached to the remaining pincer. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey and orange or tangerine juice. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened to syrup. Remove from heat, cool and set aside.
- Slice hearts of palm into thin strips. In a bowl, combine the hearts of palm, onions, peppers, orange or tangerine segments, tarragon and spinach.
- Dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; toss until moistened.
- Serve salad in the center of each plate with stone crab claws arranged around the edge. Drizzle the honey citrus sauce over all and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve extra honey citrus sauce on the side.
The official Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally-grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri's recipes imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes coming from Timineri's kitchen, click here.