Broadway has the Tonys, Los Angeles has the Ovation Awards and Chicago has the Joseph Jefferson Awards. But when it comes to theatrical excellence in South Florida, it's all about the Carbonells.
For more than 35 years, the Carbonell Awards have recognized the best dramatic and musical theater in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties. The nominations for the 2012 theater year were released last week, and Palm Beach county leads the pack with 45 nominations.
Many of these 45 nominations are for the Maltz Jupiter Theatre. Located in Jupiter, the theatre company garnered 23 nods spread between The Music Man, Cabaret, Hello Dolly! and Amadeus. Here's a rundown of the Maltz Jupiter Theatre's nominations.
The Music Man
Best Production of a Musical
Mandy Bruno and Aaron Simons perform in The Music Man. (Photo by Alicia Donelan)
- Best Director of a Musical, Mark Martino
- Best Actor in a Musical, Matt Loehr
- Best Actress in a Musical, Mandy Bruno
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical, Dennis O'Bannion
- Best Supporting Actress in a Musical, Elizabeth Dimon
- Best Musical Direction, Anne Shuttleworth
- Best Choreography, Shea Sullivan
- Best Costume Design for a Play or Musical, Jose M. Rivera
- Best Production of a Musical
- Best Actress in a Musical, Kate Shindle
- Best Supporting Actress in a Musical, Angie Radosh
- Best Choreography, Jennifer Werner
- Best Production of a Musical
- Best Director of a Musical, Marcia Milgrom Dodge
- Best Actress in a Musical, Vicki Lewis
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical, Matt Loehr
- Best Supporting Actress in a Musical, Daniella Dalli
- Best Musical Direction, Helen Gregory
- Best Choreography, Marcia Milgrom Dodge
- Best Costume Design for a Play or Musical, Gail Baldoni
- Best Scenic Design for a Play or Musical, Philip Witcomb
- Best Costume Design for a Play or Musical, Fabio Toblini
Palm Beach Dramaworks, located in Downtown West Palm Beach, boasts 12 nominations. A Delicate Balance and The Fantasticks each received four nods.
A Delicate Balance
- Best Production of a Play
- Best Director of a Play, William Hayes
- Best Actor in a Play, Dennis Creaghan
- Best Supporting Actress in a Play, Angie Radosh
- Best Director of a Musical, J. Barry Lewis
- Best Actor in a Musical, Jim Ballard
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical, Cliff Burgess
- Best Musical Direction, Craig Ames
Talley's Folly received two technical theater nominations, for best scenic design and lighting design. Laura Turnbull got a best actress in a play nomination for her role in The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, and The Pitmen Painters was nominated for best ensemble production.
Arts Garage in Delray Beach picked up four nominations. Cabaret Verboten earned nods for best production of a musical, best director of a musical, best supporting actor in a musical and best ensemble production. The Plaza Theatre, located in Manalapan, also is nominated; Driving Miss Daisy was recognized with a best actor nomination for John Archie and best actress for Harriet Oser.
Finally, in a strange turn of events, Boca Raton's Caldwell Theatre Company, which closed its doors in April 2012, received four nominations for The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, including best actor in a play, best scenic design, best sound design and best production of a play.
The winners of the 37th Annual Carbonell Awards will be announced at a ceremony on April 1 at the Amaturo Theater at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are $25 in advance or $35 at the door. To learn more, visit carbonellawards.org.