World-renowned classical guitarist MILOŠ takes the stage at Mar-a-Lago, clutching his instrument.
It's the Chamber Music Society of Palm Beach's season debut, and Florida's weather was up to its usual rainy tricks. MILOŠ, also known as Miloš Karadagli, explains that he had arrived expecting sunshine and palm trees. "I'm from London, so I'm used to it," he remarked to the White and Gold Ballroom's laughing audience.
So began his exquisite performance, punctuated by comments, jokes and anecdotes—all presented in the guitarist's eloquent and charming manner of speech. MILOŠ improvises as he plays, and one gets the feeling that he expertly adjusts his program according to setting and mood.
As he strums, he takes the audience on an emotional journey: from soothing Mediterranean melodies to Latin American pieces with samba undertones to Diana Krall's "The Boy from Ipanema" to his mother's favorite, "A Day in November" by Leo Brouwer.
"When she attends, I play it because she's there," he says. "And when she's not there... I play it because she's always there."
MILOŠ closes the evening with a powerful rendition of Carlo Domeniconi's "Koyunbaba." He first heard it when he moved to London, and it was "medicine for [his] nostalgia." Though "Koyunbaba" wasn't part of his curriculum at the Royal Academy of Music, it was so special to him that he took it upon himself to learn it.
"I hope you can find your own place and go somewhere with this piece," he tells the audience.
And away we went.
MILOŠ' performance was part of the Great Performers: Palm Beach series. All six concerts will be held at the elegant Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach. Prior to each concert, guests will have the opportunity to meet artists at a cocktail hour from 6-7 p.m.
The Chamber Music Society of Palm Beach's inaugural season will also include:
- Tuesday, December 17th, 2013, 7:00 p.m. –Doori Na, Violin; Joseph Lee, Cello, Seaon Kennard, Piano.
- Tuesday, January 21st, 2014, 7:00 p.m.—Paolo Bordignon, Harpsichord; Matthew Dine, Oboe; Stephen Taylor, Oboe.
- Tuesday, February 11th, 2014, 7:00 p.m.—Jon Manasse, Clarinet; Jon Nakamatsu, Piano.
- Thursday, March 20th, 2014, 7:00 p.m. –Anderson & Roe, Piano Duo, Greg Anderson, Piano; Elizabeth Joy Roe, Piano.
- Thursday, April 10th, 2014, 7:00 p.m. –Trio Les Amies, Carol Wincenc, Flute; Cynthia Phelps, Viola; Nancy Allen; Harp.
Admission is invitation only. For more information, call 561-379-6773 or visit cmspb.org.