Honey Citrus Stone Crab Claws with Hearts of Palm Salad
Yields 4 servings
- 3 pounds medium stone crab claws, cooked and chilled
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup orange or tangerine juice
- 8 hearts of palm, fresh or canned
- ¼ cup red onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup yellow bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges or tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
Crack claws; remove shell and movable pincer, leaving the meat attached to the remaining pincer. Set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey and orange or tangerine juice. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened to syrup. Remove from heat, cool and set aside. Slice hearts of palm into thin strips. In a bowl, combine the hearts of palm, onions, peppers, orange or tangerine segments, tarragon and spinach. Dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; toss until moistened. Serve salad in the center of each plate with stone crab claws arranged around the edge. Drizzle the honey citrus sauce over all and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve extra honey citrus sauce on the side.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- 4 medium claws with salad: Calories 499, Calories From Fat 247, Total Fat 29g, Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fatty Acid 0g, Cholesterol 190mg, Total Carbohydrate 51g, Protein 15g, Omega-3 Fatty Acid 0.05g
For more recipes, click here.
*Recipe and image courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
About Chef Justin Timineri:
As the official State Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri is a proponent of Fresh From Florida commodities. A champion of locally-grown produce and fresh Florida harvested seafood, Timineri's recipes are deep on invigorating, Sunshine State flavors, while embracing a healthy and well-balanced diet. To read more, click here.