Bikini season is a yearlong affair down in South Florida, so cocktails that don’t pack a high caloric punch but still bring the flavor and booze are a social butterfly’s best friend. Luckily, through the magic of science and with the flourish of a highly trained chef, Voli Light Vodka has created some low-cal flavored vodkas, heeding the call of all those scantily clad SoFlo beach bunnies. What’s more, Voli has provided us with a handful of cocktail recipes that will get the party started this weekend. Enjoy!
Friday Happy Hour: Falling for Fall
October is just around the corner, which means it's apple season. The Fall Affair looks to capture those autumnal sentiments with a dose of cider and dash of cinnamon. And, seeing that it's Florida, where no fruit cocktail is complete without a kick of citrus, Voli Orange Vanilla counters the apple/cinnamon earthiness with a muted acidic bite, giving the cocktail a nuanced balance.
- 2 oz. Voli Orange Vanilla
- ½ oz. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz. apple cider
- 2 dash of bitters
- Dash of cinnamon
Add all ingredients in a cocktail tin filled with ice. Shake vigorously, strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon.
Approximate calories: 127
Saturday is Shaking up to be Dirty
Unwind this Saturday night with two fab drinks that will keep the pounds off but still titillate the taste buds. The Shakerato shot gets things started, while the Hot & Dirty Martini keeps the party popping. I don’t exactly recommend taking a shot and chasing it immediately with a martini, but if you had one of those weeks, well, I understand. Enjoy responsibly, sports fans!
- 1 ½ oz. Voli Espresso Vanilla
- ½ packet of sweetener
In a cocktail tin filled with ice, combine Voli Espresso and sweetener packet; shake vigorously. Strain into a shot glass, top with three espresso beans; shoot!
Approximate calories: 85
♦ ♦ ♦
Hot & Dirty Martini
- 2 ½ oz. Voli Lyte
- ½ oz. olive juice
- Dash of Tabasco Sauce
In a cocktail tin filled with ice, pour Voli Lyte and olive juice. Shake well, strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a queen olive.
Approximate calories: 123
Sunday Funday: The Morning After
After Saturday night’s exploits, you’ll be in need of a Sunday brunch pick-me-up. Eschew the bloody mimosa standard bearers this weekend and sip in this little ditty: Voli’s Nutti Espresso. As simple as simple gets, this cocktail goes down smoothly and won’t roil the tummy.
- 1 ½ oz. Voli Espresso Vanilla
- ¼ oz. Frangelico
In a lowball glass filled with ice, pour Voli and Frangelico. Stir with purpose, then garnish with an espresso bean or two.
*Approximate calories: 106
Recipes and images courtesy of Voli Light Vodka.
If you would like to nominate a cocktail recipe to appear in our latest series "Weekend Cocktails," email the online editor here.
Tools of the Trade
Become a master mixologist, or at least look like one, with the tools that make the trade.
- Muddler: This little tenderizing stick is a godsend and a must for any home bar. If fruity cocktails are in your future, the muddler is the only way to unlock fruits’ flavor.
- Handheld Citrus Juicer: Nothing beats freshly squeezed juice, but it can be a pain. Invest in a handheld citrus juicer; they are cheap and do the trick tout de suite.
- Cocktail Shaker: Don’t be a chump stirring your martini like a noob; purchase a nice shaker and become a master home barkeep.
- Jigger: This little apparati will make mixing the perfect drink as easy as pie. It's equipped with 1½ oz. and ¾ oz. cups for perfectly measured pours every time.
*Pictured available at Williams-Sonoma