March is National Nutrition Month, the perfect time to make positive changes in your diet. In celebration, we asked Sandy Livingston, a registered dietician and licensed nutritionist based in Palm Beach Gardens, to name five superfoods to improve your health.
- Mango: Loaded with Vitamin C and A, mangoes contain antioxidants and other phenol compounds, which may aid in cancer prevention. They’re also full of enzymes that promote healthy digestion.
- Greek Yogurt: Packed with calcium and live bacterial cultures, Greek yogurt has double the protein of standard yogurt.
- Beans: Beans provide nutrient-rich complex carbohydrates in combination with lean protein. With ample soluble fiber, beans can lower both total and LDL cholesterol.
- Sweet Potatoes: Like mangoes, sweet potatoes have abundant amounts of valuable antioxidants. Among root vegetables, sweet potatoes are the lowest on the glycemic index.
- Almonds: Looking for a healthy snack? Try almonds, which are low in sodium and provide plenty of potassium, a good combination for lowering blood pressure. Almonds are also high in B vitamins, which are crucial for cellular metabolism.
For more nutrition tips and help, contact Livingston at 561-627-9733, or visit her website at palmbeachnutritionist.com.