The International Polo Club Palm Beach continues its high-goal season with the 20-goal Joe Barry Memorial Cup from January 9-26.
Though IPC’s Sunday home opener was rained out January 5 (players took the field the following day instead), the Herbie Pennel Cup final got a jump on the rain with Lechuza Caracas taking the cup with a 14-11 win over Villa Del Lago. But Lechuza players can’t rest on their laurels for long, as the start of the Joe Barry is scheduled for Thursday, with Lechuza starting its campaign in the tournament opener at 1 p.m. against Valiente.
Fourteen teams are scheduled for the Joe Barry Memorial, the first real tournament play for most of the teams in the brackets. And though 2014 is a banner year for teams in the 20-goal tournaments, many of the teams are new. Fresh-faced arrivals Palm Beach Illustrated, Los Machitos Heathcote, Flight Options (the old Piaget team), CT Energia and El Caburé are all testing the high-goal waters for 2014, while 2013 champs Crab Orchard is foregoing the 20 goals, fielding a team just for the 26-goal tournaments. But though the team names may be new, the names on the back of the jerseys have the ring of familiarity. Ten-goalers Gonzalito Pieres (Tonkawa), Juan Martin Nero (Lechuza Caracas) and Facundo Pieres (Orchard Hill) will be riding high in the Joe Barry, while seven nine-goal and eight eight-goal handicappers will also take the pitch.
As of press time, the playing field is relatively evenly matched, with no team pulling ahead with any thunder just yet. But it's hard to bet against Pieres, currently ranked world No. 2 and front man of Orchard Hill. However, Lechuza has looked strong in 2014, sitting undefeated with the Herbie Pennel under its arm.
Play begins Thursday, January 9, with another attempt at the grand Sunday opening January 12. Matches are scheduled throughout the weeks leading up to the January 26 final at 3 p.m.
- Sunday general admission to IPC is $10; lawn seats cost $20 (north and south stadium); center stadium seats cost $30. Champagne brunch costs $100. Admission is free Monday through Saturday.
- For more information, visit internationalpoloclub.com.
Photos by Alex Pacheco
The complete Joe Barry Memorial Cup is as follows. Check in often, as we will update match results, including scores and highlights:
- Call the Polo Hotline, 561-282-5290, for field assignments the day of the match.
Thursday, January 9:
- 1 p.m. – Valiente vs. Lechuza (Bracket IV)
- 3 p.m. – Las Monjitas vs. Flight Options (Bracket IV)
Friday, January 10:
- 3 p.m. – Palm Beach Illustrated vs. Coca-Cola (Bracket I/II)
Saturday, January 11:
- 10 a.m. – Tonkawa vs. CT Energia (Bracket III)
- 1 p.m. – Villa del Lago vs. Orchard Hill (Bracket I/II)
- 3 p.m. – Audi vs. Faraway (Bracket III)
Sunday, January 12:
- 10 a.m. – Flight Options vs. Lechuza (Bracket IV)
- 12 p.m. – Los Machitos/Heathcote vs. El Cabure (Bracket I/II)
- 3 p.m. – Las Monjitas vs. Valiente (Bracket IV)
Tuesday, January 14:
- 1 p.m. – Tonkawa vs. Audi (Bracket III)
Wednesday, January 15:
- 1 p.m. – CT Energia vs. Faraway (Bracket III)
Thursday, January 16:
- 10 a.m. – Villa del Lago vs. Coca-Cola (Bracket I/II)
- 1 p.m. – Los Machitos/Heathcote vs. Orchard Hill (Bracket I/II)
- 3 p.m. – Palm Beach Illustrated vs .El Cabure (Bracket I/II)
Friday, January 17:
- 3 p.m. – Las Monjitas vs. Lechuza Caracas (Bracket IV)
Saturday, January 18:
- 10 a.m. – Flight Options vs. Valiente (Bracket IV)
- 1 p.m. – Tonkawa vs. Faraway (Bracket III)
- 3 p.m. – CT Energia vs. Audi (Bracket III)
Sunday, January 19:
- 10 a.m. – Villa del Lago vs. El Cabure (Bracket I/II)
- 12 p.m. – Palm Beach Illustrated vs. Orchard Hill (Bracket I/II)
- 3 p.m. – Los Machitos/Heathcote vs. Coca-Cola (Bracket I/II)
Wednesday, January 22: Joe Barry Cup Semifinals
- 1 p.m. – #1 Bracket I/II draws between the winners of Brackets III and IV
- 3 p.m. – #2 Bracket I/II plays the remaining Bracket III or IV winner
Thursday, January 23: Bobby Barry Cup Subsidiary Semifinals (Consolation Game)
- 1 p.m. – #3 in Bracket I/II draws between 2nd place teams of Brackets III and IV
- 3 p.m. – #4 in Bracket I/II plays the remaining Bracket III or IV 2nd ranked team
Sunday, January 26:
- 12 p.m. – Bobby Barry Subsidiary Cup Final (Consolation Game)
- 3 p.m. – Joe Barry Cup Final