For a truly unique pocket of flavor, Pistache French Bistro's Chef de Cuisine Isaac Cerny shares his recipe for Zucchini Blossom Beignets.
Zucchini Blossom Beignets
This recipe is for four portions
- 15 each Zucchini Blossoms, Cleaned with the pistils removed
- 75 each Fresh Bay Scallops, Sautéed and drained of excess moisture
- 1 each Boursin Cheese Wheel
- 1 each 16 oz. can roma tomatoes
- 1 each Small White Onion
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 16 oz. Rice Flour
- 1 cup Soda Water
- 1 cup AP Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 quart Canola Oil For Frying
- 8 oz. Pesto Sauce
- Small dice 1 white onion. Sweat in 2 table spoons olive oil until translucent.
- Add 1-16 oz. can of roma tomatoes. Simmer on low heat until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally, remove from heat and cool.
- Combine the sautéed bay scallops, 1 cup of the tomato compote, and the boursin cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff 5 bay scallops and 1 table spoon of the boursin tomato compote mixture into the cleaned blossom, twist the top of the blossom to seal it up.
- Make a batter by combining rice flour, soda water, and salt and pepper to taste. Gently roll the squash blossoms in the AP flour, shake off the excess. Dip the squash blossom in the rice flour batter and drain off the excess.
- Place in the canola oil at 350 degrees and fry til golden, 1-2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Place a table spoon of the pesto sauce on a plate and stack three zucchini blossoms on top.