Jewelry Designer and Blogger, VeryAllegra
Current home: Palm Beach | Hometown: Palm Beach
Talented and sweet—which isn’t a surprise, considering she’s the daughter of a sugar tycoon—Allegra Fanjul, 23, fashioned her first bracelet in the sixth grade. With a natural gift for gemology, Fanjul would recreate the one-of-a-kind pieces she’d see in magazines and high-end department stores. Today, she designs an eponymous line of baubles, looking everywhere—even her grandmother’s vintage collection—for inspiration. She recently launched VeryAllegra, a lifestyle blog that helps clients solve common fashion conundrums and features visual how-tos for wearing her nonpareil designs. Fanjul plans to continue growing her 300-piece collection and hopes to achieve another design dream: creating a line of handbags.
- Design philosophy: Creating big, bold pieces and fashioning my clients’ jewelry into something new and unexpected.
- Bauble-buying tip: Splurge on quality. You ultimately get what you pay for.
- Favorite necklace from her current collection: A delicate pearl necklace with a crystal pendant. I wore it backward to Paradise Casino, and it was a hit.
- Most cherished possession: My paternal grandmother’s heart-shaped pendant with a key attached. My grandfather had it engraved, “Nine of your birthdays together and you still have the key to my heart.” He was a romantic, to say the least.
- Favorite Palm Beach store: Rapunzel’s Closet and the Celine section at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Most overused word or phrase: Very Allegra.
- Greatest achievement: Completing my first jewelry class last fall. I made an amazing pinky ring from sheets of metal and wire with a Labradorite stone.
- Advice for budding designers: Follow your dreams.