Celebrated for more than 200 years, France’s National Day – “La Fête Nationale” –better known as Bastille Day in the states, honors the storming of the Bastille, igniting the French Revolution. A mainstay as one of Europe’s grandest shindigs – most notably the grand parade down Champs-Elysées – Palm Beach is getting in on the action because, well, you can always use another reason to party. Do your best Tour De France impression and haul yourself to one of these Francophile hotspots this weekend, or on the officially recognized day – Tuesday, July 14.
Pistache French Bistro
Your Bastille Day celebration just wouldn’t be complete without partaking in a little tour du monde with Pistache’s three days of merriment. Wasting no time, the restaurant is hosting a weekend kickoff party on Saturday, July 11, that will feature a special menu of classic French dishes and a wine tasting that even Napoleon wouldn’t have refused.
Need a Frenchy pick-me-up? Roll out of bed for a traditional Parisian brunch and tastings of Moët Ice Impérial Champagne on Sunday, July 12.
The weekend festivities are only a precursor to the official holiday party on Tuesday, July 14. On top of a $45 three-course prix fixe menu and more French wine tastings, accomplished French recording artist Annie Royer and quartet will sing traditional French tunes with a jazz twist to make you feel as if you’re under the Eiffel Tower.
- Where: 101 North Clematis Street, West Palm Beach
- When: Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. July 11, 12 and 14
- For reservations, call 561-833-5090. For more information, visit pistachewpb.com.
Pistache French Bistro’s Tour du Monde three-course Bastille Day prix-fixe menu is as follows:
- Small Plates: Tuna Nicoise Carpaccio: Seared local yellowfin tuna, roasted bell peppers, poached quails egg, tapenade, herb salad, brioche croutons, haricot vert, anchovy aioli
- Escargots de Bourgogne en Meurette: Roasted forest mushrooms, caramelized shallots & leeks, lardons, vol au vent, red wine bone marrow jus
- Tarte Provencale: Sherry tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, caramelized onion, basil, Nicoise olives, Boursin
Lamb Loin en Croute: Domestic lamb, grilled summer squash, chickpea, tomato & ginger chutney, black olive jus
Roti Cailles Farcies: Foie gras & prosciutto stuffed, roasted figs, sweet potato puree, quail jus
- Thon & Ris de Veau: Seared local yellow fin tuna, crispy veal sweetbreads, baby artichokes, Picholine olives, Basque Piperade, basil vinaigrette
- Pistachio Crème Brulée: candied pistachios, raspberry
- Floating Island: toasted almonds, crème anglaise, caramel sauce
Paris in Town Le Bistro
A charming restaurant with the classic Franco-feel, Paris in Town Le Bistro is rolling out a special Bastille Day menu to accompany live café-style accordion music by Frank Cerabino, starting Friday, July 10.
Snuggly residing in the heart of Downtown at the Gardens, arm’s length from the carrousel, the restaurant will serve selections such as lobster bisque, filet mignon and a blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and Nutella-filled crepe at its dinner Friday from 6-9 p.m. and brunch Sunday from 12-3 p.m.
Visitors to Paris in Town can also attempt to win raffle prizes like goodie-packed picnic baskets and wine and champagne bottles at the bistro’s Bastille Day celebration dinner Tuesday night.
- Where: 11701 Lake Victoria Gardens, Palm Beach Gardens
- When: Friday-Sunday & Tuesday, July 10-12 and 14
- Entertainment: Accordion Player Frank Cerabino on Friday, July10 from 6-9 p.m.; Sunday, July 12 from 12-3 p.m.
- For more information, visit parisintownbistro.com.
West Palm Beach’s hippest Parisian joint is bringing the legendary military parade down Champs-Elysées into its confines come Bastille Day. Francophiles can march down to Le Rendez-vous on Datura Street to soak in the iconic parade while savoring special-themed menu items. Dishes will include selections such as duck breast, Calvados apple topped with foie gras, and gazpacho of tomatoes and cherries served with a goat cheese and orange zest croque. In addition to a unique cocktail, guests can purchase select bottles of wine bottles at half price.
- Where: 221 Datura Street, West Palm Beach
- When: Tuesday, July 14
- For more information, visit trendyparisianrestaurant.com.