Melanie Muir (Scotland)
Chartreuse Shards Necklace
For the fifth consecutive year, the Norton Museum of Art will host its contemporary art jewelry fundraiser, BIJOUX! from February 25-28, with a special preview party on February 24.
This year, 38 national and international artists will be featured, with nearly all in attendance to not only meet with museum guests, but to discuss their work and artistic vision. And while nearly half the artists hail from far flung locales as Turkey, Finland, and Israel, local talent will be represented as well, with Lisa Johnson, director of jewelry and metalsmithing at the Armory Art Center in West Palm Beach, joining the curated group of artisans.
The goal of BIJOUX!, “introducing the community to the best of the international art jewelry world,” is driven by the events’ Chair, Donna Schneier, who visited one the world’s preeminent art jewelry fairs in Munich, as well as traveled the continent researching and reviewing the work of the artists. The conditions for being selected are simple: “The artists have to conceive of the ideas for the pieces, make the jewelry themselves, and make a living from the work,” Schneier says.
The selected work is truly diverse, with artists hailing from a dozen countries, utilizing designs ranging from conservative to avant-garde, and working in an array of materials, including gold, silver, porcelain, beads, acrylic, glass, iron, steel, and diamonds to name just a few. The five-day exhibition is not just a chance for the fashion-forward set to find a one-of-a-kind piece of wearable art, but for the artists themselves to talk shop. As Schneier puts it: “The artists learn so much from one another. They trade information; they get new ideas; enjoy being in like company.” The event itself becomes a bastion of creativity, with the Norton acting as an international incubator of ideas.
Anu Peippo (Finland)
Necklace 2011. Pistachio shells, cotton cord.
- BIJOUX! will be open to the public, February 25-28, during regular museum hours; admission is free with regular museum admission. On Wednesday, February 24, the Norton will host a special preview party starting at 6 p.m. Tickets start at $175. For more information, call 561-832-5196 ext. 1212, or visit norton.org/bijoux2016.
The Norton will host a series of events related to BIJOUX! Here’s what’s to come:
- An artist panel discussion on glass jewelry, featuring Nirit Dekel (Israel), Jed Green (United Kingdom), Leslie Genninger (Italy), and Lisa Johnson (USA), 2 p.m. Thursday, February 25.
- As part of the Norton’s Art After Dark program, an Emerging Artists Panel will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday, February 25 in the museum’s Atrium.
- Conversation with prominent art jewelry collector and BIJOUX! Chair Donna Schneier, 1 p.m. Sunday, February 28.
- BIJOUX! Tours led by Independent Curator Davira S. Taragin, 3 p.m. daily, February 25-28.
Liat Ginzburg (Israel)