Floridians know the importance tourism holds in their local economy, this holds especially true for the Florida Keys. From Key Largo to Key West, this is an area primarily dependent upon the contributions of year-round tourism. Following the devastation of Hurricane Irma, food and beverage hospitality workers have found themselves out of work and inevitably facing financial hardships.
In an effort to help relieve the financial burdens of these “In the Biz” patrons, Chef Adam Brown of The Cooper and En-Flux private chef Troy Sheller have organized Chefs for the Keys. This benefit will feature over 20 chefs from around South Florida, live entertainment, and a silent auction on Friday, October 6, 7-10 pm.
In addition to Friday’s event, on Thursday, October 5, each participating chef will donate a percentage of the daily revenue from his/her restaurant (see list of participating restaurants below) to the cause.
All proceeds will be donated to the Islamorada Beer Company team, founders of the Florida Keys Fund/Gotta Love Them Fund, a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
“On Thursday, all our customers have to do is show up,” says Brown. “Simply by eating and drinking in our restaurants, they’ll be contributing to those affected by Hurricane Irma. By attending the event on Friday, they can make a much larger impact.”
Participating chefs and restaurants include:
- Addam Actis, Corner Porch
- Adam Brown, The Cooper
- Ben Burger, Mariposa
- Gustavo Calderon, 3800 Ocean at Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
- Brian Cartenuto, Tucker Dukes and Union 27
- Lynn Dorsey, Magick in Your Kitchen
- Scott Edison, Dubliner Irish Pub
- Bruce Feingold, DADA
- Chuck Gittleman, Cask + Shaker
- Eddie Grosman, private chef
- Eric Grutka, Ian’s Tropical Grill
- Michael Hackman, Aioli
- Jeremy Hanlon, Benny’s on the Beach
- Alethea Hickman, Stonebridge Country Club
- Thomas Opt Holt, 50 Ocean
- Nina Kauder, private chef
- Seth Evan Kirschbaum, Restoration Hardware
- Michael Kuckelman, Bush Brothers
- Tim Nickey, Kapow! Noodle Bar
- Taun Norlander, private chef
- George Patti, MEAT Eatery and Union 27
- Scott Randazzo, Dubliner Irish Pub
- Mike Saperstein, Rebel House/Sunshine Provisions
- Troy Sheller, En-Flux Private Chef Services
- Charlie Soo, Talay Thai Cuisine
- Andrew Tsang, Drew’s Island Catering
- Desserts by David Innes, Sundy House