Chef Javier Sanchez of Renato’s in Palm Beach puts a Francophile spin on quintessential au gratin potatoes with fluffy sweet potatoes, roasted garlic, heavy cream, and a pinch of nutmeg encased beneath bubbling Gruyere cheese—the perfect mix of sweet and savory.
“I wanted to create something elegant that would impress my family and friends. This dish is always a winner.”
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 oz. roasted garlic
- 2 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 oz. Gruyere cheese, sliced or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add milk, heavy cream, garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a pot.
- Mix well. When the liquid is about to boil, remove from heat.
- Place sweet potatoes in a 7-by-5-inch mold, and add the mix over the top.
- Sprinkle Gruyere cheese on top, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 70 minutes.
For more Thanksgiving recipes, click here.
Photography by Libby Volgyes
Styling by Janderyn Makris, Earth and Sugar
Flowers by Flower and Fringe