As the rest of the country bundles up for December’s cold winter chill, South Florida is gearing up for sunny afternoons and evening holiday soirees. To put a little extra cheer in those ugly sweater parties, we’re offering a few winter-themed cocktails to enjoy.
When the weather gets frightful, sip on this adult version of hot chocolate with a peanut butter twist, courtesy of Waterstone Resort & Marina in Boca Raton.
Grown-Up Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cracked vanilla beans soaked in vodka (substitute 1 tsp. vanilla extract for a
- non-alcoholic version) 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
- 4 mini Reese’s cups
- Whipped cream and hot salted peanuts to garnish
- Caramel and chocolate sauces for additional garnish
- Place vanilla beans in a shallow pan and immerse in vodka. Let soak for two days. Remove beans and reserve 1 1/2 oz. of vodka.
- Whisk together milk, cocoa powder, vodka (or vanilla extract), and sugar in a small pot on the stove. Bring to a simmer and add peanut butter and two Reese’s cups, stirring well to eliminate clumps. Pour into a mug and serve with whipped cream and hot salted peanuts.
- To serve frozen, let mixture cool before blending with ice. Add toppings and finish with remaining Reese’s cups and caramel and chocolate sauces.
Unless you’re lactose/dairy intolerant, just about everyone enjoys a festive glass of eggnog. But those tried and true recipes can get a little stales, especially after the fifteenth holiday party. Luckily Lavazza, the iconic Italian coffee company, joined forces with cocktail kingpin Dale DeGroff, aka King Cocktail, for a fresh take on a holiday classic.
Lavazza Harvest Moon Eggnog
- 1 oz Lavazza Santa Marta Blend (brewed)
- 1 1/2 oz Apple Cider
- 1 1/2 oz. Dickel Tennessee Whiskey
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 1 Small Egg
- Dash Dale DeGroff’s Pimento Bitters
Add all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into an appropriate egg nog cup. Dust with nutmeg.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Lavazza.
Give that bar menu a kiss of candy with this sweet and minty martini from Sparkling Ice.
Candy Cane Martini
- 1 1/2 oz. Vanilla vodka
- 2 oz. Sparkling Ice Cherry Limeade
- 1 oz. crème de menthe liquor
- Splash of Grenadine
- In a shaker, combine ice, vodka and crème de menthe and grenadine
- Stir gently and strain into a chilled martini glass rimmed with crushed candy canes
- Top with Sparkling Ice Cherry Limeade and garnish with a candy cane
Recipe and image courtesy of Sparkling Ice.