The 2015-16 Florida lobster season is set to start this August, ushering in eight months of all the spiny lobster fun you can imagine. But what do you make after a lobster haul? Try this recipe for a Florida-themed lobster roll.
Florida Lobster Roll
- 4 lobster tails
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise (more if desired)
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 4 hot-dog rolls, top sliced (the softer, the better)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Preheat broiler. Split lobster tails, and brush each tail with one tablespoon of melted cilantro-lime butter (recipe below). Broil until just cooked (opaque, firm to touch), remove meat from shell, and refrigerate for 30 minutes before chopping into bite-sized chunks.
- In a medium nonreactive bowl (glass or porcelain), mix lobster, celery, lemon juice, chili pepper, chives, and mayonnaise; season with salt and pepper, and add more mayonnaise, if desired. Refrigerate for a few minutes before serving.
- Butter the hot-dog rolls and fry on a skillet on medium-low heat until golden brown; do this slowly to avoid burning the butter. Add lobster salad, sprinkle with paprika, and enjoy.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced and zested
- Pinch of salt and pepper
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients with a rubber spatula. Use immediately or refrigerate.
For more Florida spiny lobster recipes, click here.