Break out the pink wardrobe, blonde wigs and gavel; the Lake Worth Playhouse is bringing a dose of Broadway to Lake Avenue when Legally Blonde: The Musical comes to town July 10-27.
Based on the 2001 film of the same name, Legally Blonde follows along the same story arc. When Elle Woods is rebuffed by her beaux Warner Huntington III, she vows to be taken more seriously by enrolling in Harvard Law School and in the process win back ex. Along the way, Elle is tasked with overcoming stereotypes, while realizing that inner truth does not need to conform to find outward happiness and success. Bolstered by her inner strength and the belief of those around her, Elle wins the case, earns valedictorian and finds love with someone deserving of her, all while doing it her way.
Legally Blonde’s fun and upbeat musical numbers and lyrics were written by Nell Benjamin and Laurence O’Keefe and book by Heather Hach was nominated for numerous awards for its Broadway debut, including Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Tony Awards, but ran into the Spring Awakening buzz saw of 2007 (which won eight of eleven nominations), while its 2010 Original West End production took home the Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical. See why blondes do have more fun July 11-27 at Lake Worth Playhouse
- On Thursday, July 10, take in dinner and a show for $55, which includes a 6 p.m. dinner at Paradiso Ristorante, followed by the production’s preview night performance at 8 p.m. Tickets for the show only cost $27 for the orchestra section and $23 for the mezzanine.
- The opening night party begins at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, July 11 with a pre-show reception held in the playhouse rehearsal hall, complete with champagne and light hors d’oeuvres by Callaro’s Steakhouse. Curtain is at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $38.
- Remaining showtimes are as follows: July 12-27, Thursday and Friday at 8 p.m.; Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m.; Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Tickets cost $35/$29 (Orchestra/Mezzanine).
- For more information and to purchase tickets, call the box office at 561-586-6410 or visit lakeworthplayhouse.org.