For the sweet tooth, passing on Bea’s Honeycomb Ice Cream from the Leopard Lounge is a cardinal sin. Created by Beatrice Tollman, president and founder of Red Carnation Hotel Collection, this sweet and rich recipe comes to us byway her new cookbook, A Life in Food.
- For more recipes from Beatrice Tollman and The Chesterfield Palm Beach, click here.
Bea’s Honeycomb Ice Cream
- 1 cup corn or glucose syrup
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. baking soda, sieved
- 1 qt. vanilla ice cream
- Dissolve the syrup, sugar and vinegar over medium heat. Turn the heat up and boil until the syrup turns to a light caramel color.
- Take the pan off the head and quickly stir in the baking soda, then pour the mix into a high-sided baking sheet lined with parchment paper and greased with butter. Leave to cool and harden; do not refrigerate. Once hardened, this brittle, crunchy slab serves as the honeycomb base.
- Slightly soften the ice cream in a chilled ceramic bowly. Carefully break the honeycomb slab into various sizes, none more than 1-inch squares, and quickly fold half into the ice cream. Pour the ice cream into a desired ice cream mold or back into the original ice cream container and freeze again. Keep the remaining honeycomb in an airtight container for topping when serving.