Calling all book lovers! The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach will begin a contactless pick-up service on Monday, June 29. The innovative service will allow patrons to reserve library materials Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until further notice.
While the library doors remain closed to the public through the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, patrons have been enjoying hundreds of virtual programs on the library’s social media pages and its digital library. In addition, the library is offering a plethora of virtual services and programs at wpbcitylibrary.org and on their social media pages. Programs include job help, fitness, storytimes, arts and crafts, tutoring and much more.This social distancing-safe initiative increases the community’s access to the library’s physical materials.
Safety protocols are in place for this new pick-up system, and library staff will always follow strict guidelines when handling library materials by wearing gloves and masks. In addition, all physical materials will be disinfected and placed in quarantine for 48 hours prior to being checked out to the next patron. Patrons will not be in direct contact with any library staff.
The library will begin reserving materials via phone and email. There is no limit to the amount of materials requested, and library staff will pull as many available items as requested for checkout. All checkout policies remain the same (three weeks for books, two weeks for express books and magazines, and one week for CDs and DVDs), with all eligible items automatically renewing.
How patrons can pick-up materials at the library:
- Patrons must have a library card to utilize the pickup service. Register for one here or call (561) 868-7701. Patrons do not have to be residents of the City of West Palm Beach.
- Reserve materials through the library’s online catalog, call the library at (561) 868-7701, or email requests to email@example.com. Library staff will get materials ready and notify patrons via email or phone when ready.
- Once patrons receive a notification to pick up their items, they should call (561) 868-7744 to let the library know what day and time they plan to pick up the items.
- Once parked and/or walking up to the library, call (561) 868-7744. When alerted, library staff will check out items and place them in a paper bag. Patrons can park in the City Center Public Parking garage on the corner of Banyan Blvd. and Dixie Hwy. for 15 minutes without being charged an hourly fee.
- Patrons must present a valid photo ID to staff via the library’s glass main doors. Library staff will then place the patron’s bag with checked out items on a table in the lobby area outside of the library’s main doors. Patrons will not be entering library to obtain materials.