Diego Andres Echeverri
Co-Founder, CEO and Designer, Bull + Moose
Current home: Alexandria, Virginia | Hometown: Parkland
Diego Echeverri, 32, met his future business partner, Francisco Diaz-Mitoma Jr., while playing in a sandbox in Canada. Echeverri’s family eventually moved south to Parkland, but the two friends kept in contact. Years later, touched by 9/11, Echeverri enlisted in the military as a legal analyst and spent nearly a year in Afghanistan. After returning home, he worked for two of the Sunshine State’s most notable names: former Gov. Charlie Crist and Florida’s CFO, Jeff Atwater. On the eve of Echeverri’s wedding, he and Diaz-Mitoma began a conversation about the high cost of men’s neckties that ended with a business model. Within months, the pair launched their neckwear company, Bull + Moose, and enlisted one of Wellington’s top polo players, Brandon Phillips, as its corporate brand ambassador.
- Work uniform: Jeans or corduroys and a Bull + Moose necktie. I can’t work at home without my Brooks Brothers Nappa Full slippers.
- Favorite tie from his current collection: The Chambray bow tie.
- Least-favorite fashion trend: Tight suits.
- Favorite Palm Beach store: Ralph Lauren on Worth Avenue.
- Most challenging part of his job: The creative process and choosing what makes it to production. Just because I love a design doesn’t mean our customers will.
- What’s on his bucket list: Taking a reunion trip with my closest friends I’d been deployed to Afghanistan with.
- Advice for budding designers: Have a solid business plan, and recruit advisors or mentors with industry experience.
Photography by Mike Zemrose