We may not be brunching out, but we can certainly brunch in. So, why not treat yourself to something decadent at home? This French Toast recipe, courtesy of CPB at The Colony Hotel in Palm Beach, includes a few additional steps (like a cornflake crust and a brûléed banana) that take the first meal of the day from simple to spectacular. Test it out as an impressive breakfast in bed for your quarantine partner, or as a fun activity to make at home with the kids.
Cereal-Crusted French Toast with Brûléed Banana and Pecan Maple Syrup
4 Slices of thick cut Texas toast bread
½ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
6 cups of cornflakes
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, cream, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together until fully combined
- Pour the cornflakes into a deep dish.
- Take the bread and dip it into the egg mix for a 1 minute making sure it absorba as much egg as possible. Then place it into the cornflakes, scooping more cornflakes over it to cover. Repeat until all the bread is coated. Cover and return to the fridge to sit for at least an hour and for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat a non-stick pan on medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter and begin to sear the toast until golden brown and fully cooked on both sides.
- To serve, cut a banana lengthways and dip the cut side in sugar. Brûlée it with a blowtorch or place the banana on the pan, sugar side down, for a minute or so until it caramelizes. Place the banana on top of the toast, then dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, chopped pecans, and a splash of vanilla extract.