Expecting guests for an overnight stay? A gracious host knows that making visitors feel comfortable takes preparation. In addition to stocking the fridge and drafting an itinerary, converting the guest room into a quiet retreat makes company feel right at home. Incorporate these essential elements from local design professionals to earn top marks during your next hosting gig.
“Guest rooms are the perfect place to employ pattern on pattern and a mix of colors.” —Ashley Warren, designer at McCann Design Group, West Palm Beach
• Opt for soft blues and greens to make the space feel cozy and inviting.
• Select a wallpaper to add interest and imbue a sense of liveliness.
“Customizing sheets, towels, and robes with a monogram or your own bespoke design raises the bar and makes your guest room unique and memorable.” —Penny Murphy, owner of Pioneer Linens, West Palm Beach
For the Bed
“There’s no better compliment to a host than hearing their house-guest gush about how comfortable their bed was,” Murphy says.
• Choose crisp and cool 400- to 500-thread-count cotton percale sheets in white with an embroidered color trim.
• Place both king and standard pillows with medium goose down filling on the bed.
• Keep an additional lightweight cotton blanket in the closet.
• Lay a cashmere throw, perfect for a recharging nap before cocktail hour, at the foot of the bed.
For the Bathroom
“Abyss Super Pile towels ($20 to $153, available at Pioneer Linens) by Abyss & Habidecor are our favorite,” Murphy says. “They are luxuriously soft, made from an absorbent Egyptian cotton, and come in a wide variety of colors.”
• Set out washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, and large bath sheets.
• Include a plush tub mat and cozy terry cloth robes for the ultimate guest pampering.
A Charming Floral Arrangement
“What better way to make people feel special and appreciated than a collection of beautiful blooms? Residential floral design is driven by the aesthetic of the home, so we select interesting and unusual flower varieties that complement our client’s style.” —Reed McIlvaine, owner of Renny & Reed, West Palm Beach
• Display a floral arrangement that represents your taste and matches the guest room’s decor.
• Incorporate McIlvaine’s favorite blooms such as ranunculus, hellebores, peonies, and sweet peas.
A Few Good Reads
Leave a curated collection of your favorite books and recent magazines for visitors to peruse. Also include a destination-specific book, like Assouline’s Palm Beach ($95, available at Assouline, Palm Beach) by Aerin Lauder, which provides a strong sense of place.
Covetable Bath Products
One of the best parts of any hotel stay are the travel-sized bath amenities. Treat your company by providing them with their own assemblage of items. Aesop’s Nashville nine-piece travel kit ($70, Saks Fifth Avenue) includes everything from toothpaste and mouthwash to facial products and hair care designed for those sojourning to warmer climates.
A Convenient Luggage Rack
Today’s luggage racks offer a stylish take on this functional must-have for all guest rooms. Find the well-finished Made Goods Walvia luggage rack (starting at $700) at Hive Home, Gift & Garden in West Palm Beach.
These final touches will help you earn a five-star guest satisfaction rating:
• Create a tech station with a notecard that provides your home’s WiFi name and password (try downloading this template at etsy.com/shop/shabacadesigns) as well as a universal smartphone charger (available at Best Buy locations) plugged in and ready to go.
• Display a few framed photos that capture special memories you’ve shared with your visitor.